Sunday 20 October 2013

Little things for little feet

Remember the pink sweater I knitted for my friends who were expecting? Baby is here, and she's adorable. Mum wanted a pumpkin hat since she loves all things Halloween, so I offered to knit her one.

The hat pattern is Baby Berry Hat, and I knitted it up in about 2 hours, maybe 3. It was quick and easy. The yarn is acrylic, which I don't usually like to work with, but I didn't want to trek all the way to the local yarn store to buy what I needed. The green yarn is wool, from my stash.

Because I had so much yarn left over, I decided to make matching booties. Honestly, I've never had babies to knit for, and I became a little obsessed when I made the sweater... When my kids were born, I wasn't knitting.

The booties are Saartje's Bootees, and they're very quick and easy. They're supposed to be made with two colours of yarn, but I didn't have any more of the green yarn from the hat, so I used green buttons instead.
I did say I was obsessed with baby knits, didn't I? Since the first pair of booties knitted up so quickly, I decided to use up the last bit of the pink yarn from the sweater to make matching booties. Since the pattern calls for worsted weight yarn, and this yarn is fingering, I held the yarn double. Piece of cake!

My friends liked the hat, and the unexpected booties. I've seen photos of Baby in her pumpkin hat and booties, and she's incredibly cute. I can't wait to meet her.

1 comment: