Tuesday 6 August 2013

Breaking in the new serger

I sold the old serger yesterday. I think the "old" gal will have a good home... the lady who bought her was very nice, and already has some serger experience under her belt.

She also told me about a really neat local sewing initiative... It is called Our Social Fabric. She urged me to look it up, and I'm really thrilled that I did. It looks like chaos, but fun chaos. I'm hoping to make it out to their next event, which is this coming weekend. A full bag of fabric for $25? Bolts at $2 per metre? Yes please! My stash thanks you, Dorothy! So does my bank account.

So, since I got a new serger, I HAD to use it right away. It would be a shame not to, after all. I decided I wanted an easy, quick project, so I dug out my McCall's 6354 and made view B (but without the embroidery... did I mention instant-gratification?)

Here is the finished product. I love tunic-length tops, because they cover all kinds of sins. They're almost dresses, but they're still cute.

If anyone had told me six months ago that I'd be wearing orange, I'd probably have laughed at them... but I've been finding myself embracing warmer colours lately. I used to love cool blues and purples, but not so much anymore. Now it is all about warm plum, kakhi, rich brick reds, and warmer shades of blue. Oh, and chocolate. Can't forget the chocolate.

I'm pretty pleased with how the tunic turned out. For some reason I don't understand, it has French seams at the shoulders, so the only work I needed to do on my serger was the side seams and the waist seam. The hem is a double fold, so no serging there!

The surplice neckline is nice, but as usual, I need a camisole. Busty girl problems! Unless I'm wearing knits, this style of neckline gapes on me. I do love them though.

I also did some decorative stitching at the neck edge and along the hem, and made bias tape for the neckline out of leftover fabric rather than using purchased bias tape. I never buy the stuff - the quality is poor, and it only takes a few minutes to make matching bias tape for your project out of scraps. Why pay for lousy bias tape when I can make fantastic bias tape practically for free?

No comments:

Post a Comment