Sunday 4 August 2013

New serger, and some housekeeping

Yesterday, I went to the same store that I purchased my sewing machine from. They were having a BIG SALE!!! So the timing was perfect to replace my serger. It is a decent serger, but I wanted something better that can handle more difficult projects.

I rather fell in love with all of the features of the Janome 1200D, mostly because it does coverstitch, but I wasn't in love with spending over $1000 on a serger. I just couldn't justify the expense, since you mostly use coverstitch for sportswear, which I never sew. So, I picked up the Janome Pro 4DX. The price was about $20 more than I'd budgeted, so not a deal breaker by any means. Bonus is it was 40% off. It is quiet (for a serger), and doesn't travel, which is great. I really get annoyed when I am rushing to finish a long seam and the serger starts walking across the table! It also has a one step conversion to a rolled hem, which is a very nice feature. My old serger does a rolled hem too, but there are a couple of adjustments that need to be made, and frankly, I'm a lazy sod when it comes to adjusting my machine.

I can't wait to do my first garment on it. I'm thinking about a skirt.

I also did some housekeeping today. My yarn stash is a bit nuts, and not very well organized at the moment. And none of it was on Ravelry, so if I'm inspired to knit something, I have to haul out my big bins of yarn and rummage through them to see if I have appropriate yarn.

Bin #1 is finished, and you can see the contents on my Ravelry stash page. Some of the yarns still need details, but they're unknown yarns whose yardage I need to calculate, and frankly, I'd rather play with my new serger right now. I still have a second large bin to go through, and there are other miscellaneous yarns hidden around the apartment that need to be added to my stash. One of these days I'll get organized! I need to do my fabric stash at some point too. That ought to be loads of fun...

No comments:

Post a Comment