Wednesday 22 April 2015

Invasion of the robots!

©Aspiring Threads
Please excuse this photo. I know it is lousy, but it's the only one I have of this hat. The pattern is Robot Hat, and I had a lousy camera at the time, so you're just going to have to put up with this bad photo.

I made this hat for my little guy when he was five years old, out of Knit Picks Swish worsted. It's not my favourite yarn, as I find that it grows quite a lot after washing, but it is good for small projects like hats and mittens, because it is nice and soft and comes in a very wide range of colours.

©Aspiring Threads
 This past winter, my son asked if I could make him a scarf and a pair of mittens to match his hat, which he still wears, four (going on five) years later. I'm glad he likes his hat so much!

I decided to make him a cowl instead of a scarf, because honestly, it doesn't get that cold here, and scarves take eons to knit. I hate knitting scarves, to be honest, so he ended up with a cowl. Instead of typing everything out again here, take a look at my project page on Ravelry for the details on the cowl.
©Aspiring Threads
For the mittens, I found a free mitten pattern, then used duplicate stitch to put robots on the mittens. I could have knitted them using stranded colourwork, but I decided to try my hand at duplicate stitch instead, since I'd have to handle the floats all the way around the mitten, and it was going to be a hassle, as the robots are only on the backs of the mittens.

My Ravelry project page has more details.

No comments:

Post a Comment