Friday 24 April 2015

My second Oakridge

©Aspiring Threads
Well, it took me a while to finish it, but here's my second Sewaholic Oakridge! I posted about the first blouse here, and cut out my second a few days later.

The fabric is from Fabricland, and it is a lightweight polyester. I wasn't sure about the floral pattern, since it is a bit  bright & pastel for my liking, but it was on sale, so I bought it and hoped for the best.

Do I like the finished blouse? The jury is out, as I usually wear darker, more muted colours, but it does make a nice blouse, doesn't it?

I didn't make any further adjustments to the pattern after my first Oakridge, as I was happy with the fit of the first one.

I usually sew with heavier, stiffer fabrics (most frequently cotton), so I found that I had to adjust the tension on my sewing machine, which I usually don't find necessary. Because the fabric was so much thinner than cotton, my seams puckered terribly until I lowered the top thread tension. I still find topstitching challenging, mostly when I reach a corner or edge, because the fabric doesn't feed evenly, which leads to imperfect topstitching. I feel like I need to find some tutorials to deal with this problem, because I want perfect topstitching! I did find that using a piece of tissue underneath the corners was helpful, but I'm hoping to find other ways to deal with this problem.

For some reason, I had a mental block about sewing the buttonholes. Usually, the closer I get to finishing a project, the more determined I am to complete it, but this blouse sat for a full week before I finally sewed the buttonholes and put buttons on it.
©Aspiring Threads

I'm glad to be finished the second blouse, so that I can move on to the collarless version. I have a nice rayon to use for the next one, which is more to my taste than this fabric.

I suspect that the print will grow on me, especially once it warms up enough to wear skirts. The weather has been lovely here recently, but the last couple of days have been cold and wet. I think the Oakridge looks great with jeans, but I really want to wear them with pencil skirts.

Speaking of jeans, my next post will be all about my troubles with finding jeans that fit properly. I'm about to embark on an exciting journey, making my own jeans!

3 comments:

  1. I think your shirt looks great! The fabric is a bit flowery, but I think only people who live with you will realise it's not your usual style. I find a walking foot to be super helpful with shifty fabrics. It has pseudo feed dogs on the bottom of the foot so the top and bottom fabrics can move together.
    Good luck with the jeans! I'm currently on my third pair of jeans this year. It's a lot of fun to make them, but you have to listen to your machine over thick seams! A lot of times call for manually moving the handwheel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! What jeans patterns have you tried? I'm thinking of trying the Ginger jeans from Closet Case Files...

      Delete
  2. I first tried the Jalie pattern, and it was alright. I definitely chose a size too big though, so it would be better at a proper size. I made the Gingers as shorts to test the fit, and love them! Again, I chose a size too big (I bought some super stretchy denim from Fabricana) so I've cut out the jeans in a size smaller. I just put the fly in them last night, so I should be able to try them on by the weekend. I have a good feeling about the fit though, it seems very flattering and comfortable.

    ReplyDelete