Wednesday 4 March 2015

My Cambie

My introduction to Sewaholic patterns actually came from Gertie's Blog For Better Sewing quite some time ago. The Cambie dress was released in 2012, and caused quite a stir.

Gertie's version was amazing, and I thought "oh, I need that pattern! That dress would be so perfect as an every day dress... or even a special occasion dress!"

Then she sewed it a second time. I was sold! However, I didn't pick up the pattern right away. In fact, I waited for over a year to buy it.

If you Google "cambie dress" a ton of images come up... I think my favourite is this one. It even works as a wedding dress! This, dear readers, is why I finally bought the pattern... Remember my post about sewing for our wedding? I said I was having trouble with the FBA on my dress, and tried other patterns. The Cambie was my safety net. I could find lots of tutorials for doing a FBA on this dress, so if worst came to worst, I could make this dress work for my needs.

©Aspiring Threads
Obviously, I managed to make my 1950's reproduction work for the wedding dress, so the Cambie pattern didn't get sewn... until November, when I decided that I needed to make the dress, immediately if not sooner. I had this fantastic quilting cotton that I bought at Fabricana for way too much money on a trip there with my friend Andrea before she moved away... the fabric was earmarked for a dress, but I didn't know what dress I'd make with it.

Well, Cambie was a perfect match for the fabric. I decided against the sweetheart neckline, because I am not a fan of that neckline for myself, so I followed Tasia's super simple tutorial for the "slightly less sweet" Cambie dress.

I must have learned a thing or two about doing a FBA while making my wedding dress, because aside from a tiny bit of tweaking with the dart points, my FBA was perfect on the first try with this dress. The only challenge I did have with it was with the shoulders, which were several inches too long.

©Aspiring Threads
My dress made its first appearance at a brunch that my husband and I went to before Christmas, and I got several compliments on it. Cambie is fully lined too, so even in quilting cotton, it feels luxurious and expensive.  I haven't made another yet, but I'm definitely going to. I love the A-line skirt on this dress, because it has pockets, and it's very grown up. I'm not usually a big fan of gathered skirts, because they can come off looking a bit childish, and I'm now past 40, so as far as my wardrobe is concerned, gathers have a time and place... like in a wedding dress. For every day wear, I feel a bit out of place in a gathered skirt.

Another great thing about this dress is that it looks fantastic with fitted sweaters. It's really an all-season dress, in spite of it being sleeveless. It also shows off my owl tattoo, which I always feel is a shame to cover up, because looking at it makes me feel so fantastic.

The only thing I'm not 100% happy about is that I should have made one size smaller, as there's a bit of extra width on the bodice. I bought the paper pattern of this dress, and in the future, I'll buy the PDF so that I can cut different sizes without having to either trace the pattern or buy a new one, because that's just wasteful.

In fact, right now I'm working on a rusty orange sweater that will be a perfect complement to this dress... but that's another post for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment