Monday 16 March 2015

Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey mitts

Daughter is a Doctor Who fan. Her favourite doctor is the 12th doctor, and I can't blame her. He's a pretty awesome chap. Funny and good looking to boot. For Christmas/Yule, she asked for mitts, so I decided to surprise her. She didn't know what I was making, but she did say she wanted mitts without fingers.

©Aspiring Threads
Excellent. That makes it easy! I knew exactly what pattern I'd use... but there were no Doctor Who Endpaper mitt charts available. What's a knitter to do?

Obviously, the first step is to get appropriate yarn... in this case, Knit Picks Palette in White and Celestial were perfect colours, since she's obsessed with the Tardis and loves the colour blue.

I tried my hand at designing my own charts, but thought I'd see if there were any charts available that I could modify to fit the bill, and came across a couple of different ones thanks to Ravelry.



©Aspiring Threads
The charts were free, which is a big bonus. Thank you to Amy Schilling for your awesome free charts!

I picked a few motifs from the charts. One mitt has a Tardis, a weeping angel, and bowties on it (because bowties are awesome). The other mitt has a Dalek, a sonic screwdriver, and a gas mask (the lost child creeps me out, but daughter thinks they're awesome).

The pattern, as I mentioned previously, is the Endpaper mitts pattern, which I've now knit three times, and will likely make again.

I did have to modify the charts somewhat, to get everything to fit. Mostly on the Dalek mitt, because the Dalek was too tall and too wide to fit otherwise. So was the sonic screwdriver. The end result was a very happy girl with very cool mitts that are warm, reversible, and the envy of her friends. I'd say that they were a big success!

Here's my Ravelry project page, if you want to see more pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment