Thursday 11 July 2013

Quilt update

I wasn't able to pick up backing fabric last night, as I didn't realize the store closes at 5:30 on Wednesdays, so I did it today. I found some great double width fabric in pink paisley for 70% off. Not too bad, eh?

This will be my first time trying free-motion quilting, so I figured I ought to try it on a smaller project first. I had enough fabric left from the quilt to make Girlie a matching pillow sham. Here it is, before quilting.

The sham is pretty much exactly the same as the quilt, only I had to fudge the measurements, as there is no pattern for a matching sham. Hopefully my sham is not a sham! Ha ha! Okay, stopping now.


Before starting to quilt the sham, I decided to watch some video tutorials on YouTube. This one was excellent.


I'm not taking ALL of her advice. I did drop my feed dogs, as I don't have a slider to add to my machine. And I've slowed my speed to half-way, only because she's an experienced free-motion quilter and I'm not.

Of course, only a fool would start immediately on their project without fooling around first. I like spirals, and figure they will work well with the fabrics I picked. Just for fun, I did this with some scrap.

Funny thing is, I just noticed that the blog I found the spirals on is the blog of the woman who did the video. That was not on purpose, I just happened across it.

I've got my sham top, batting and backing fabric assembled... wish me luck!

Edited to update! I didn't want to make another post today, so I'm updating this one... How's this for a first attempt? I'm not entirely happy with it, but I'm probably just being critical. I need to slow down, which is why the stitches are so darn long. But other than that, I'm pretty pleased.

I even splurged on fancy multi-coloured thread and proper quilting needles. Aren't you proud of me?

No comments:

Post a Comment