Friday 12 July 2013

Yet another quilt update

I'm done quilting the sham. It is far from perfect, but it was a great learning opportunity.

As you can see, I mostly did swirly curls. I like the wavy lines on the green triangles, and will replicate those on the quilt top. The curls on the blue section were the most labour-intensive, as they overlap, so I only did them on that section.

I did end up speeding up my machine, because I was finding that my stitches were too long, as I move too fast. I need to slow down a bit more, but speeding up my machine helped a lot with the stitch length. Of course, when your machine is going fast, you really want to move your fabric faster! I am working on that though, and the last section I quilted was more even and consistent than the earlier parts of the sham.

One thing that I did notice is that it is really difficult to handle the fabric as it is quilted. It caused quite a lot of wrist strain. I'd like to pick up some quilting gloves like Leah Day uses, as well as the slider. I'd order them from her, but I want to start on the quilt on Monday, and they probably wouldn't ship until then. I know that my local fabric store doesn't sell the slider, as I was looking at their quilting tools yesterday. They sell Clover quilting gloves though. I'll have to look and see where the local quilt shops are and see if they sell these items.

Today, I'll assemble the sham. More photos later!

No comments:

Post a Comment