Thursday 11 July 2013

Socks for the destroyer

Boychild destroys socks. Well, he destroys cheap socks from the store. He picks at the little thread inside the cuff, then manages to unravel the entire top of the sock. It is incredibly frustrating, so I told him I wouldn't buy him any more socks until he stops doing it. Socks kept dying, heaps of curly thread on the floor.

Time for a different tactic. I asked him if he'd like hand-knit socks. I don't knit socks usually, but I was willing to give it a shot if it meant he'd quit destroying his socks. He liked the idea, so off I went. He picked out some yarn, I picked a pattern, and got to work.

These are the first socks. He didn't like them at first, because apparently they were itchy. Uh oh. I've knit for him before without any complaints about the yarn being itchy, so I thought maybe they just needed washing. Apparently that did the trick.

This photo was taken at the edge of the stream at Cathedral Grove on Vancouver Island. I think he likes them, in spite of the fact that the socks have purple in them. That was a big deal, apparently, but once the yarn was knit up and he saw that the yarn didn't look "girly" the "cool factor" increased and he gave them his stamp of approval.




 This is the second pair. No, they're not different lengths. He calls these his "camo socks". I can see why. I think he prefers these to the others, which remind me of a sunset.








I still have blue & white self-striping yarn to make a third pair. None of the socks have met an untimely end just yet, so I feel pretty good about this project. He's away for the summer with his dad, so I'll knit up the blue socks and mail them to him. It took me about two weeks per pair, but I wasn't working very hard on them. I can probably get the next pair done within a week if I keep on task.

No comments:

Post a Comment