Friday 12 July 2013

The sham is finished

I finished the pillow sham today. I quickly took photos of it, because Girlie was desperate to snuggle her pillow.

I decided on a simple brown fabric for binding the whole project. I have plenty left for the quilt. On previous quilts, I've hand-sewn the binding because my old machine was a bit... difficult, shall we say. The needle was a little off-centre, and it just couldn't handle the thickness of four layers of fabric plus batting. Oh, did you know it was sold as a "quilter's star"? Yeah, sure it is. It made me see red.


Detail of all of the different crazy patterns I used to quilt this thing. Does lit look like I'm a madwoman, or does it look like I had some fun with it? If you click on the picture, you'll see my imperfect stitching, but even so, I'm pretty chuffed with it.

To bring out the stitching, I SHOULD spray it with water and let it dry, but as I said earlier, Girlie wanted her pillow NOW, so that will have to wait.


Just for fun, I ran a border of cats and tulips along the opening at the back of the pillowcase. My machine has loads of decorative stitches, but I've never used any of them, so I thought I'd play with them. She's pretty thrilled that there are cats on her pillowcase, and since they're at the back, they're a bit hidden so that when she's older and they're not as "cool", nobody will see them.

Yes, Mum is sneaky.

Now to quilt the actual quilt. That ought to be an adventure! Any tips would be appreciated! I'm leaving it for the weekend, and will be back at it on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment